Stop #1 of our three week honeymoon was to Reykjavik, Iceland!
Favorite things to see:
- The Northern Lights – We were sooo lucky to see these during our visit. On our last night, walking home from the bar we happened to catch a glimpse of the Northern Lights in the sky. It was absolutely magical!
- Hallgrimskirkja – The iconic church sits up on a hill in the middle of downtown Reykjavik. Walk up main street, Skólavörðustígur, for cute shops and restaurants to get to the church, and head up to the top for the best view of the city!
- Sólfar – The “sun voyager” sculpture that overlooks the water.
- The Aurora museum – A little museum that explains what causes that green light in the night sky. My favorite part was a VR headset with footage of the Northern Lights.
- Baejarins Beztu – Infamous Icelandic hot dog stand. The line goes quick, and its a perfect lunch!
- Stofan – Great coffee and breakfast spot with adorable decor.
- Reykjavik Fish Restaurant – Our favorite meal in Iceland. Amazing fish and chips with lots of sauce options.
- Reykjavik Roasters – Keep your hands warm while walking around the city with a yummy latte.
- Tommi’s Burger Joint – Quick, cheap spot for great burgers and fries.
- Microbar – So many beer options. We got a few flights here–just be prepared for HUGE “tasters.”
- Skuli Craft Bar – Lots of local beer, and a Korean BBQ food truck right outside.
- Mikkeller – Cool bar and tasting room with flights. Are you sensing a theme here?
- ROK – This restaurant probably had great food, but we just stopped in for a beer. A little fancier than the others, but super cute decor right next to the church, and we met an amazing couple from Massachusetts at the bar!
- Main streets: Hverfisgata, Laugavegur, and Skólavörðustígur all have the best shops! So many Icelandic sweaters, but they are not cheap.
- We loved our Airbnb, which was a 10 minute walk outside of downtown. The best part was being able to check in at anytime, since we landed in Iceland at 6am. We ended up napping for a few hours since neither of us slept on the red eye, and I don’t think we would have made it through the first day without that sleep!
- Bring rain gear. We both carried around mini umbrellas and wore raincoats every day. We spent a lot of time just wandering the streets and rain was inevitable. Definitely be prepared!
What we would have done differently:
- We weren’t really prepared for how expensive Iceland is. If we could go back, we would have bought groceries for breakfast and lunch, so we wouldn’t feel as bad splurging on dinner. Especially starting out a three week vacation, we had a hard time forking over so much money for dinners and ended up not eating in restaurants we had picked out because of it.